Saturday, July 11, 2015

Smiles are a UNIVERSAL Language



I am continually moved by my experiences while volunteering. Such moments inspire me to continue to devote my full time and attention to growing Smiles with Style. I thought I would begin to share some of the special moments with our supporters:

I was pushing the makeover cart through the main lobby of University Hospital when I was stopped by one of the hospital's translators. She was accompanied by a young girl who was probably 13 or 14 years old and appeared to be of Middles Eastern descent. Her hair was covered in a veil, but her face was visible. The right side of her face was severely scarred from what looked like burns. I couldn't help but to wonder what tragedies she had been exposed to at such a young age. 

The young girl did not speak English and the translator briefly left us for a few minutes while she spoke with an employee at the desk behind us. I handed the young girl a few items (lip gloss, hairbrush, and lotion) from the makeover cart. She became very excited and started smiling in a somewhat lopsided fashion due to the injuries to her face. I smiled in return. I pointed to my smile and clapped.

She was grinning and beaming with joy. I knew she was thrilled. In that moment, I realized we were able to communicate entirely through SMILES!



No comments:

Post a Comment